Monday, July 9, 2012

The Corona-rita challenge!

       I recently saw a friends' photo on Facebook in which she and her boyfriend were enjoying some interesting looking drinks. I didn't want to be the uncool kid who asked "What is that"? So I asked a few restaurant servers if they served "those drinks with the Corona bottle sticking out of the glass", and finally one told me that only Chevy's made them because they have mini-sized Corona bottles.

      So I proceeded to "Google it"! I was unable to find the Chevy's cocktail menu. I know what you're thinking...Why didn't you just go to Chevy's? Well, I guess I like doing things the hard way! A few days later I was at Bevmo and saw the mini-sized Coronas I was told about.

      So now at this point; my thought process was to find a recipe for the margarita portion of the drink. I figured it was likely a little more complicated than just the usual margarita, otherwise everyone would serve them! So back to the web I went, and every recipe I found was different. Beyond confused at this point; so I layed the topic to rest for a while.

    Until a few weeks later I was at The Hacienda on Sutter St., here in Folsom; on a date. I opened the menu and there it was! The Corona-rita! My date and I immediately ordered a round. Thank goodness our server had experience with this cocktail, because when she asked if I wanted it on the rocks or blended; I wasn't sure how to answer. Now I'm no stranger to margaritas. Typically blended margaritas tend to be more watered-down because of all the ice that is used to get that slushy consistency. So I usually order my margaritas on the rocks. I in turn asked our server if she had had one before and what she recommended. She confirmed our excellent selection and recommended we have them blended. Thankfully we trusted her judgement because mmm...mmm...mmm, they were goooooood!

     The next day I was even more determined to recreate this yummy concoction. I had to make three variations, but third time was a charm! I share a photo along with my recipe below.

  • 4oz. frozen limeade concentrate (1/4 of the can)
  • 1 1/2 oz. silver tequila
  • 8oz. 7-up
  • 1 1/2 cups ice
Combine the above ingredients in a blender until you get that slushy consistency. If it appears too thin; add more ice. Pour mixture into a heavy glass. I find using a glass that is rounded works best. You want to make sure the glass you are serving this in is heavy enough to remain standing once you insert the mini Corona bottle. Otherwise, you end up with a spilled drink and a broken glass. And there will be no wasting alcohol on my watch! Be sure to leave yourself room in the glass for the beer bottle and the small amount of beer that will mix into your margarita. Now then, all thats left to do is quickly and bravely shove that mini Corona bottle into your cup! You will need a straw to slurp this cocktail, and you may want to have that inserted and ready in the event of possible spillage.

  • 1 mini corona (7oz.)

*Recipe makes one cocktail

Now of course you are more than welcomed to do a
salted rim and a nice little lime wheel, but I find the
time it takes to do that gets in the way of my cock-
tail drinkin' time! Happy happy hour!



2 comments:

  1. Wow I'll try to make mine soon..Nice post!!
    http://jessynyiri.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete